Saturday, May 29, 2010

Steve James

Music is one of my major passions. I'm particularly attracted to acoustic music (string-bands, jug-bands, old-time and pre-war blues) and musicians. I spent four years as the staff photographer for the Swannanoa Gathering at Warren Wilson College near Asheville, North Carolina in the '90's. They still use a majority of my photographs to promote their programs.

Steve James was one the folks I got to know over the course of the Gatherings and I was highly fortunate to have him as a guitar instructor for several years. I saw him for the first time in ten years at Piccolo Spoleto this year on Bowen's Island. Due to unforeseen circumstances I only managed to grab a handful of photos before I had to leave. I wish I'd able to take in his whole set and hang with him after the show for a beer.

Steve was one of the last musicians who managed to spend time and tutelage under some of the early music greats such as Sam Maggee and Furry Lewis before they passed on. Their vitality, innovation and musicianship live on through Steve and his stories and songs. If you ever have the chance ....

No comments:

Post a Comment